Lăzarea village is one of the oldest settlements of Ghiurgiu’s depression forming, together with the other 8 villages and a city, GHEORGENI’s LAND.
The hearth of the village is about 5 Km North from Gheorgheni, at the foot of Mount Szármány (967 m), at an altitude of 770 m.
Lăzarea is accesible by rail route: 400 Braşov – Deda and also on NR 12 through Joseni, on CR 126A.
The first written mentions about Lăzarea dates from 1200 , the village beeing witness of many historical events.
Lăzarea has four important monuments, each of them from different ages. All of them are original and unique values, most of them representing different architectonic styles from western Europe.The statue park of the artist camp also offers an interesting site.
Roman catholic Parish Church represents, on this land, the romanesque and gothic style being a historical monument according to the monuments Registry of Harghita county from 1992.
The church is situated on a place called “ MINE” ( 786 m), and according to the local tradition, it was built in 1235 in the place of a marble mine. The gothic gate is one of the most eastern representants of this style.
Chapel of Saint Antony is situated near the southern tip of Mount Szármány (967 m) at an altitude of 870 m. Place of pilgrimage, known from the XV th century is built in gothic style. The chapel was reconstructed in 1700 by the Baló family from Băţanii-Mari being a historical monument according to the monuments Registry of Harghita county from 1992.
Franciscan church and cloister of Lăzarea is situated on the southern slope of the Mount Szármány at an altitude of 808 m. Built between 1669 and 1752, on the place donated by Royal judge Lázár István to the Franciscan order , the church and cloister is the franciscan’s most important centre from the depression.
Lázár Castle is one of the most impressive noble residences in Transylvania, being the residence of counts Lázár.
The oldest residential tower dates from 1450. The castle has acquired its final form during Istvan Lazar (Andras Lazar’s son) , who grew up with Prince Gabor Bethlen, one of his trusted men who was the royal judge of Ciuc, Gheorgheni and Casin’s seat and who chairmaned in 1956 the “Székely “ national Assembly from Lulita.
His arms are located on the southern wall, on the bastion of the left gate, together with the inscription “1632″ – the year of finalization.
Starting with 1967, the castle is gradually restored. It has been finished the works on the main building now used as art gallery , Knights Hall (Council Hall), Stork Bastion, is being renovated “Women’s Home” and the “Bastion with Cheese”.
The Knights Hall is furnished with furniture carved by local folk motifs, with Transylvanian’s arms, lamps and other decorative elements from wrought iron, all made by craftsmen from our County.
Painted wooden ceiling has also been rebuilt.
Lăzarea has become the common workshop of the Romanian fine arts. The castle houses today the fine art exhibition of the County Museum. The Friendship Fine Art Gallery (painting exhibition) with 150 paintings occupies the gate bastion, eight large rooms and the Knights’ Hall. The gallery presents the cross-section of the Romanian art of the last decades representing three generations. Above the Knights’ Hall, a 300 square meter room houses the drawings. There are two creative camps working at Lăzarea: The Friendship Art Creative Camp (since 1974 – painting, drawing, sculpture) and The Folk Art Creative Camp (since 1978).
Other tourist attractions
Tartars Mound (The Tartars’ Hillock) – commemorates the battle from 1658, battle worn between Tartars and the local women and elderly.
The memorial column of the heroes of World War II can be seen in the centre of the village. The new commemorative plaque was consecrated in 1990. At reprisals that followed the fight to defend Szekely land’s freedom, more than 500 men from Gheorgheni seat were executed .
The monument of the martyrs of 1916 – inaugurated in 1992. On the white marble plaque are commemorated the eight martyrs executed in the yard of Oláh Alajos in September 1916.
Regarding the elements listed above, we can proudly say that OUR VILLAGE IS GROWING TOURIST ATTRACTION !